A great time to check carbon monoxide detectors is when you set your clock back this Sunday, November 3, 2019, as Daylight Saving Time ends. This annual check can help protect your household from carbon monoxide poisoning – an odorless, tasteless gas that can cause sudden illness or death. Carbon monoxide detectors can alert you when this gas is present in your home, so you and your family can get out safely.
Carbon monoxide detectors do not last forever. The average life expectancy is 7 years. Just like your smoke detector, check your carbon monoxide detector before it stops working. If the detector battery is enclosed within the unit and cannot be changed, replace the entire carbon monoxide detector.
If your detector beeps quickly and repeatedly, there is carbon monoxide and you need to evacuate. If the beep is constant and the display reads “error” or “end,” replace the detector.
For details about carbon monoxide detectors, call the Stockton Fire Department Fire Prevention Division at 209-937-8271, visit www.stocktonca.gov/detectors, and follow www.facebook.com/Stockton-Fire-Department for other helpful fire prevention tips.