The Stockton Police Department wants you to be safe during the
take measures to protect yourself and your property
are out and about.
Before going out remember the
STOP - LOOK - PROTECT
- STOP before leaving your home or car.
- LOOK to see what you are carrying or what is in plain sight that may attract a criminal's attention. (If you can see it, the criminal can too).
- PROTECT yourself and your belongings by removing valuables from a criminal's view.
Safety Tips While Shopping
- Shop during daylight hours whenever possible. If you must shop at night, go with a friend or family member.
- Park in a well-lit area, lock the car and close the windows.
- Size-up the area before getting out of your car. Is it safe?
- Don't leave packages or personal items in open view in the car.
- Stay alert and be aware of what's going on around you.
- Put your wallet in an inside coat or front pants pocket. If possible do
not carry a purse/satchel.
- Use an inside ATM whenever possible and avoid using them late at night.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash; pay with an ATM card, check or credit card.
- Don't overburden yourself with packages. It is important to have clear visibility and freedom of motion to avoid mishaps.
- Have your keys in your hand and ready before arriving at your car.
- Always check your car before getting in to make sure there is no one hiding inside or near it. Avoid leaving a purse or other items on top of or next to your car while loading.
- When locking items in your trunk, avoid going back into the store to continue shopping. Thieves can be watching and waiting for the opportunity to break into a loaded trunk.