Fireworks classified as “Safe and Sane” by the State Fire Marshal are approved for sale and use in the City of Stockton. Safe and Sane Fireworks are generally described as fireworks that do not explode or leave the ground and carry a special State Fire Marshal label identifying them a s Safe and Sane.
The sale of Safe and Sane Fireworks in Stockton is limited to 30 qualifying nonprofit organizations that submit an application to the City of Stockton and are then selected to receive a permit for sale through a lottery process. Application period for the Fireworks Sales Permit Lottery opens March 1, 2 016, and ends March 31, 2016, at 4:30 p.m.
Nonprofit organizations applying for a fireworks sales permit must meet the following criteria:
- Pay a non-refundable $35.00 Fireworks Sales Permit Lottery application fee,
- Provide proof that the organization is a nonprofit organization, as defined in the City's Fireworks Ordinance,
- Demonstrate that the nonprofit primarily serves City of Stockton residents, and
- Meet all of the application criteria.
A nonprofit organization selected in two (2) consecutive years will not be allowed to apply in the third year, but the nonprofit will be eligible to re-apply the following year, providing they continue to meet all eligibility criteria.
Selected non-profit organizations drawn by lottery will be issued a permit from the Stockton Fire Department Fire Prevention Divisi on. Additional costs associated with the fireworks sales permit, include:
- $147 - Fireworks Stand Inspection fee, per stand (non-refundable)
- $600 - Illegal Fireworks Enforcement fee (non-refundable)
- $1,000 - Deposit (Failure to remove sales stand, as required, results in forfeiture of deposit; deposit refunded if compliant.)
The City of Stockton ordinance only applies to the category of Safe and Sane Fireworks. All other fireworks are illegal within the city limits. Larger pyrotechnic fireworks displays require a special permit from th e Stockton Fire Department Fire Prevention Division.
Additional information and application forms are available online at www.stocktonca.gov/fire.