The Cesar Chavez Central Library will kick off a year of reading and discussing interesting books with its new Adult Book Club. The book club will meet the first Tuesday of each month – beginning on January 7 – from 10:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. in the Stewart-Hazelton Room. Books for each month’s discussion will be available for checking out from the Chavez Library and other SSJCPL branch libraries.
Each book club discussion will be led by a library staff member, and light refreshments will be provided.
The list of books to be read and discussed is as follows:
January 7 – Little Bee by Chris Cleave
- February 4 – Snow in August by Pete Hamill
- March 4 – Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
- April 1 – The Woman Who Lost Her Soul by Bob Shacochis
- May 6 – The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
- June 3 – The Widower’s Tale by Julia Glass
- July 1 – Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner
- August 5 – Rocket Boys by Homer H. Hickam
- September 2 – A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines
- October 7 – One Book, One San Joaquin selected title
- November 4 – The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
- December 2 – Book Club Choice
This free program is provided through the generosity of the Friends of the Stockton Public Library. The Cesar Chavez Central Library is a part of the Stockton-San Joaquin County Public Library and is located at 605 N. El Dorado Street in Stockton. For more information, call (209) 937-8221 or (866) 805-7323. Visit the Library’s website at www.ssjcpl.org and fan or follow us on twitter.com/ssjcpl and facebook.com/ssjcpl.